Think a fun day would be an adventure with your family to a farm or petting zoo near you? It’s hard to resist a photo of your child petting or interacting with a cute animal at a farm or petting zoo.
I know what you are thinking, “are there any petting zoos near me?”
Yes! There are quite a few! We’ve pulled together a huge list of petting zoos and farms where you can interact with animals. These farms and petting zoos are located near Greenville, SC, in Western North Carolina, Northern Georgia, as well as in Charlotte, NC, and Columbia, SC. So wherever you are, find a petting zoo near you, or a farm that makes a great day trip.
Our list includes places open year-round places to pet animals, plus seasonal farms, and mobile and event-based petting zoos. We have tried to make sure these are places that treat their animals kindly and with respect as well. If we missed any, let us know in the comments.
Is There a Petting Zoo Near Me?
Yes, there probably is a petting zoo on this list near you! Use the links below to navigate this list by location.
View Petting Zoos and Farms by Location:
Petting Zoo: Greenville, SC
Petting Zoo: Western North Carolina
Petting Zoo: Columbia, SC
Petting Zoo: Charlotte, NC
Petting Zoo: Northern Georgia
Seasonal Petting Zoos in the Carolinas
Mobile Petting Zoos Serving Upstate, SC
So Cute & Snuggly!
10 Places to See Cute Baby Animals Near Greenville, SC
Petting Zoos in Upstate, SC, Near Greenville
Moo Cow Farms
Cuddle with cows at Moo Cow Farms in Simpsonville. Visits are by appointment only and you get a tour of the pasture with the cows and opportunities to cuddle and engage with mom-fed, hand-feed cows, and potentially help feed bottle-fed babies. Totally awesome.
- In Simpsonville, SC
- Hours: By appointment only; you can find the most up to date availability here.
- Admission: $10/person ages 3+ and include one treat bag. Kids under 3 years old are free. Add-ons include a large treat bag for $2 and a bottle to feed the baby for $3.
- Animals: miniature cows
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Moo Cow Farms
155 Mosley Rd, Simpsonville | Moo Cow Farms
Pet and meet bottle-fed babies at Famoda Farm. Visiting this amazingly welcoming farm is FREE. Don’t forget to purchase ice cream from Amazing Grazin’ on-site ice cream or farm-fresh treats and groceries from Grazers. Save some time to play at the playground, too.
- In Taylors/Tigerville, SC
- Hours: Ice Cream: Wednesday and Thursday 4 pm to 9 pm, Friday and Saturday 12 pm to 9 pm, Sunday 4 pm to 9 pm (seasonal hours April through September), Grazers Farm Store: 10 am to 6 pm Wednesday through Friday, Saturday 9 am to 1 pm. Hours may change seasonally.
- Admission: Farm admission is FREE
- Animals: Baby goats and cows, older goats and cows, donkeys, Twinkles the sheep, bunnies
Famoda Farm Kidding Around Review
7410 Mountain View Road, Taylors, SC | Famoda Farm
Hidden Pasture Unicorn Farm
If you love unicorns, Hidden Pasture Farm is the perfect place to take your kids. Plan to spend about an hour there. Be sure to check out the pony rides, they are a true memory maker!
- In Fountain Inn, SC
- Hours: Winter Hours: Saturday & Sunday, 11 am – 4 pm; Summer Hours Wednesday-Sunday from 11 am – 4 pm // Hours are subject to change, Check for updates
- Admission: $12/person, 2 and under FREE. Pony rides are $7 and children must be at least 2 years old to ride ponies.
- Animals: Unicorns, miniature ponies, rabbits
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Hidden Pasture Farm
245 Little Virginia Road, Fountain Inn | 864.477.9284 | Hidden Pasture Farm
OnAgain OffAgain Alpaca Farm
Located in a residential neighborhood in Spartanburg, the owners invite the public to come and check out their alpacas.
- In Spartanburg, SC
- Hours: Open daily but they ask you to call ahead for a tour. Appointment needed.
- Admission: No admission, donations accepted.
- Animals: Fluffy alpacas
262 Hollis Drive, Spartanburg | 864.680.9845 | OnAgain OffAgain Alpaca Farm
Lucky Acres Farm
An alpaca farm that also has goats and chickens. Gloria, the owner, makes hats, scarves, mittens, and blankets from the alpaca’s fleece and gives great tours on the property.
- In Townville, SC
- Hours: Visitors are welcome by appointment.
Admission: Free, donations accepted
Animals: alpacas, miniature silky fainting goats, and chickens
- Birthday Parties: Yes, they host birthday and other parties with reservations for $50/hour with refreshments served
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Lucky Acres Farm
1024 Milford Road, Townville | 864.903.1856| Lucky Acres Farm
Petting Zoos in Western North Carolina
Ellaberry Llama Farm
This isn’t a petting zoo actually. It’s way better! It’s a llama farm on an apple orchard in Hendersonville, NC where you get to interact with llamas, hike with them, and run with them through an obstacle course.
- In Hendersonville, NC
- Farm tours and hikes are by appointment but follow them on their Facebook page since they’ll post about upcoming hikes/tours.
- Admission: Farm tours are $20/person and hikes start at $50/person
- Animals: Llamas
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Ellaberry Llama Farm
4178 Old Clear Creek Rd, Hendersonville, NC | 828.606.3577 | Ellaberry Llama Farm
WNC Nature Center
The WNC Nature Center not only has wolves, red pandas, lots of reptiles, otters, and several play areas, they also have a cute little petting zoo that’s included with admission.
- In Asheville, NC
- Hours: Daily 10 am – 4:30 pm, closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. Admissions closes at 3:30 pm.
- Admission: $13.95/adults, $9.95/kids 3-12
- Animals: Sheep, goats, donkeys, chickens
Kidding Around Greenville Review of WNC Nature Center
75 Gashes Creek Rd, Asheville, NC | 828.259.8080 | WNC Nature Center
Carl Sandburg Home & Goat Barn
Perhaps the only place that allows guests to get in the field and barn with the goats to play with them. There is also hiking and touring the house.
- In Flat Rock, NC
- Hours: The grounds are open from sunrise to sunset and the goat barn and pasture are open daily from 10 am – 3 pm. closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.
- Admission: Free to enter the estate and play with the goats.
- Animals: Goats and baby goats (no baby goats for 2022-2023 season)
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Carl Sandburg Home
1800 Little River Rd, Flat Rock, NC | 828.693.4178 | Carl Sandburg Home
Biltmore Farm at Antler Hill Village
Located on the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, the farm at Antler Hill Village has lots of animals for kids to touch.
- In Asheville, NC
- Hours: Farmyard is open daily 11 am – 6 pm but check the website for changes in seasonal hours.
- Admission: Included with admission to the estate (Pricing varies depending on the season. Check their website for current pricing.)
- Animals: Goats, baby goats, chickens, sheep, horses, cows, calfs
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Biltmore
One Lodge Street, Asheville, NC | 800.411.3812 | The Biltmore
Last Penny Farm Alpacas
An alpaca farm in Western North Carolina that has nearly 25 alpacas and offers private tours.
- In Weaverville, NC
- Hours: By appointment only. Only open seasonally, contact directly before attending.
- Admission: $10/person, kids under 3 are free; tours last for about 1.5-2 hours.
- Animals: Alpacas
39 Pegg Rd, Weaverville, NC | 828.777.3568 | Last Penny Farm
Winchester Creek Farm
A beautiful drive from Greenville through the mountains to Waynesville in Western, NC, this farm has alpacas and lots of miniature animals like horses, cows, and donkeys. You can feed and interact with some of the animals. Read our review here.
- In Waynesville, NC
- Hours: Tours are by appointment only and last about 45 minutes
- Admission: $16/adults, $14/ kids 3-12, kids under 3 FREE
- Animals: Alpacas, miniature horses, miniature donkeys, miniature cows, sheep, goats, pigs
Kidding Around Review of Winchester Creek Farm
386 Walker Road, Waynesville, NC l 828.246.9486
Our Tiny Farm
A miniature donkey farm in Western NC where you can pet and cuddle with the donkeys.
- In Hendersonville, NC
- Hours: By appointment only Wednesday afternoons and Saturdays. Make an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Admission: $10 donation
942 Etowah School Rd, Hendersonville, NC | email@example.com
Petting Zoos in the Midlands, SC
A huge zoo with not only animals but a ropes course, gardens, a carousel and climbing wall, and outdoor playgrounds. You can feed the giraffes and lorikeets and pet animals in the farmyard all for a small fee, around $2 for each cup of feed or per person.
- In Columbia, SC
- Hours: 9 am – 5 pm daily, closed Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Admission: $24.99/adults, $21.99/kids ages 2-12
- Parking: $5 per vehicle
- Animals: The ones you can interact with are the giraffes, goats, sheep, and lorikeets.
Kidding Around Review of River Banks Zoo
500 Wildlife Parkway, Columbia | 803.779.8717 | River Banks Zoo
Two Girls and A Farm
This mobile petting zoo with bring all the cute, fussy animals to you! They do all types of events, including birthday parties, church events, and more!
- Services Lexington, Columbia, and the surrounding area
- Regularly found at local events
- Animals: goats, bottle-fed goats, pigs, chickens
Kidding Around Review of Two Girls and A Farm
Lexington, SC | Two Girls and a Farm Email | Two Girls and A Farm Facebook
Goat Daddy’s Farm
Pet, feed, and learn about animals at Goat Daddy’s Farm. We would suggest setting aside at least 1 to 2 hours of your day in order to get the full Goat Daddy’s experience! There is so much to see and learn and even some opportunities for hands-on experiences!
- In Elgin, SC
- The farm is open to the public every Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm.
- Admission: Age 2 and under- free, Under 12 – $5, Over 12- $10. Prices subject to changes.
Kidding Around Review of Goat Daddy’s Farm
144 Tomahawk Trail, Elgin | Goat Daddy’s Farm
Cotton Branch Farms
A rescue farm, Cotton Branch Farm Animal Sanctuary offers tours for visitors that include interaction with the animals.
- In Leesville, SC
- Hours: Tours begin at 11 am on select dates and last approximately 90 minutes. Guests are asked to sign-up for tours in advance.
- Admission: $30/adults, $15/kids ages 15 and under
- Animals: Pigs, cows, donkeys, horses, chickens, turkeys, ducks, sheep, and goats.
328 Lightwood Knot Road, Leesville | 803.381.0051 | Cotton Branch Farms
Petting Zoos in Georgia
North Georgia Zoo & Farm
Home to many exotic animals, the North Georgia Zoo offers several different encounters with the animals for guests. Admission includes a zoo tour and access to the petting zoo but the personal animal encounters are extra fees. Be sure to look at the age requirements if you are going to book an animal encounter.
- In Cleveland, GA
- Hours: Open year round but only on weekends some months and during the week others. It’s best to check their online calendar.
- Admission: $37.99/adults, $35.99/kids 2-11 which includes admission to the Wildlife and Safari Park; pony rides are $5/each; petting farm admission is $8/adults and $6/kids. personal animal encounters range from $8 up to $300/person.
- Animals: Reptiles, birds, camels, wolves, zebras, lemurs, goats, water buffalo, alligators, and monkeys.
2912 Paradise Valley Rd, Cleveland, GA | 706.348.7279 | North Georgia Zoo and Farm
Chestatee Wildlife Preserve & Zoo
This non-profit takes in rescued animals who have been orphaned, illegally purchased, or abused. They take donations of food as well.
- In Dahlonega, GA
- Hours: Daily 10 am – 4 pm (last entry is at 2:45 pm)
- Admission: $15/adult, $10/kids ages 1-11; $5/bucket of feed for the animals; guests are asked to bring their own hand sanitizer.
- Animals: Bears, tigers, panthers, emus, zebras, wolves, donkeys, zedonks, buffalo, and deer.
469 Old Dahlonega Hwy, Dahlonega, GA | 678.300.0019 | Chestatee Wildlife Preserve
Goats on the Roof
Like it sounds, goats are on the roof of this family-friendly petting zoo, which also sells ice cream, fudge, and t-shirts and has a playground and gem mining on site. Photos with Santa and a goat happen during the Christmas season.
- In Tiger, GA
- Hours: Friday- Monday from 10 am- 5 pm, closed Easter, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Thanksgiving. Hours are subject to change seasonally.
- Admission: Free admission.
- Animals: Lots of goats
3026 US-441, Tiger, GA | 706.782.2784 | Goats on the Roof
Petting Zoos Near Charlotte, NC
Lazy 5 Ranch
Just outside of Charlotte, this farm has lots of animals to see and pet, plus it offers wagon rides. Please note they only accept cash.
- In Mooresville, NC
- Hours: Hours are Monday- Saturday from 9 am – 5 pm (please arrive by 5 pm) Sunday from Noon- 5 pm (please arrive by 4 pm).
- Admission: $15/adults, $11/ages 2-11; to include the wagon ride and animal feed, tickets are $21/adults, $15/ages 2-11.
- Animals: Ducks, cows, sheep, goats, deer, exotic animals
15100 Mooresville Road, Mooresville, NC | 704.663.5100 | Lazy 5 Ranch
Seasonal Petting Zoos & Farms
These petting zoos and farms are open on a seasonal basis such as in spring or fall.
One of the very best farms in the entire Upstate and a fall favorite for so many families in the area due to its award-winning corn maze, fall farm activities, pig races, live entertainment, and a little petting zoo area.
- In Anderson, SC
- Hours: They are open daily from late September through mid-November for fall family fun; they also host springtime events. You can find specific dates on the Denver Downs website.
- Admission: Fall event admission $15/person, Spring event admission $15/person
- Animals: Pigs, goats, cows, and baby goats
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Denver Downs
1515 Denver Road, Anderson | 864.515.4554 | Denver Downs
Roper Mountain Science Center
The Roper Mountain Science Center is part of the Greenville County School System and has a planetarium, science hall, and Living History Farm. They offer animal encounters with sea creatures during special events!
- In Greenville, SC
- Hours: Afternoon Explorations program: September 13, 2022 – May 13, 2023 Tuesdays through Fridays*- 1:30 pm-4:30 pm *excluding days when RMSC is closed for holidays and Greenville County Schools scheduled breaks.
- Hours: Summer Adventure program: June – July 2023. Check the Roper Mountain website for upcoming exhibits!
- Admission: $5/person, kids under 3 FREE, RMSC members are free
- Animals: Sheep, goats, cows, horses outside and starfish, crabs, stingrays, snakes, butterflies, chinchillas indoors.
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Roper Mountain Science Center
402 Roper Mountain Road, Greenville | 864.355.8900 | Roper Mountain Science Center
Possum Kingdom Kreamery
In the early spring, this goat farm in Belton has various dates for adults and kids to sign up to cuddle baby goats and help feed and care for them. It’s as awesome as it sounds. They also do tours March through October.
- In Belton, SC
- Hours: Dates will come out in late January/early February to sign up to help feed baby goats. Dates are very limited, so follow the Possum Kingdom Kreamery Facebook for sign-up dates.
- Admission: $25+ to interact and feed bottle-fed baby goats
- Animals: Lots of baby goats, a llama, rescued deer
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Possum Kingdom Kreamery
520 Acker Road, Belton | 864.423.4048 | Possum Kingdom Kreamery
Deer Park Zoo at Tweetsie Railroad
The petting zoo is part of Tweetsie Railroad theme park near Boone, North Carolina.
- In Blowing Rock, NC
- Hours: Saturday & Sunday from 10 am – 6 pm; Extended days and hours from May-October. Be sure to check their calendar for the latest hours of operation. The park is closed for winter, and reopens every April.
- Admission: Included with admission to Tweetsie Railroad ($60/adults, $40/kids ages 3-12)
- Animals: Goats, llamas, emus, miniature horses, miniature donkeys, and some fluffy sheep called an Olde English Babydoll Southdown Sheep
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Tweetsie Railroad
300 Tweetsie Railroad Lane, Blowing Rock, NC | 800.526.5740 | Deer Park
The family-run apple orchard is a fantastic fall destination with tons of great activities for kids – and they have a petting zoo with gentle goats and a pond where kids can feed fish (bring quarters!).
- In Hendersonville, NC
- Hours: 9 am – 5 pm Monday through Sunday. These hours are seasonal starting around July and ending in early November. Check their website before you go.
- Admission: Free admission to the orchard. If you want to feed the animals, you can pay for a bucket but it’s free to pet them. The petting zoo is open on weekends but you can see the animals if they are out anytime.
- Animals: Goats, donkeys, a pig, fish
Kidding Around Greenville Review
187 Garren Road, Hendersonville, NC | 828.974.1232 | Justus Orchard
Known for their spring strawberry patches and fall corn maze and hayrides, Stewart Farms also has an area for kids to pet farmyard animals.
- In Enoree, SC
- Hours: See website for dates and times.
- Admission: Free admission to the farm and barnyard; additional fees for pumpkins, corn maze, and wagon rides.
- Animals: Farmyard animals, goats
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Stewart Farms
6600 SC-92, Enoree | 864.969.7270 | Stewart Farms
Sky Top Orchard
The farm animals are part of the larger experience at Sky Top Orchard in Flat Rock, NC, known for their cider donuts and apple picking.
- In Flat Rock NC
- Hours: Starting in August and running through the Sunday after Thanksgiving, they are open daily from 9 am – 6 pm except for Thanksgiving.
- Admission: Free admission; bring change to buy food for the animals.
- Animals: Sheep, chickens, goats, peacocks
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Sky Top Orchard
1193 Pinnacle Mountain Rd, Flat Rock, NC | 828.692.7930 | Sky Top Orchard
Mobile & Event-Based Petting Zoos
If you’d like to plan an event like a birthday party, scout outing, or office event with animals, these places can either host you or will come to your location.
Safe Haven & Educational Adventures, Inc.
Safe Haven is a permanent sanctuary for exotic wildlife that have either been abandoned, abused, lost their home for some reason. They do educational programs, including birthday parties, and bring their animals to educate and be loved on.
864.246.4425 | Rescue Exotics
Super popular in the Upstate, the Critter Keeper “brings the jungle” to you for parties and events with reptiles and fluffy critters for kids to enjoy.
864.640.2295 | Critter Keeper
Snakes, squirrels, spiders, lizards are some of the neat animals that consist of the Wildlife Geeks traveling show.
Kidding Around Greenville Review of Wildlife Geeks
843.592.8079 | Wildlife Geeks
Emit’s Farm Adventure Park
Located in the Upstate, they bring animals to your special events and parties.
Emit’s Farm Adventure Park
Herbert and Friends Mobile Petting Zoo
They have bunnies, alpacas, goats, and guinea pigs and bring all the cute animals right to you. They are located in Greenville.
864.346.6991 | Herbert and Friends Mobile Petting Zoo
Triple Lake Farm
A mobile petting zoo based in Easley, SC. They have miniature cows, goats, donkeys, and offer pony rides.
864.908.8640 | Triple Lake Farm
Sam Path Petting Zoo
Located in Northern Georgia, Sam Path Petting Zoo has zebras, monkeys, camels, kangaroos, and all kinds of other animals perfect for a cute party.
706.717.8837 | Sam Path Petting Zoo
Jackson Farm: Sprinkle’s Mobile Petting Zoo
Right across the border in Western North Carolina, Jackson Farm will bring the zoo to you with their mobile petting zoo full of sweet animals like goats, unicorns, and bunnies.
828.233.6399 | Jackson Farm Sprinkle’s Mobile Petting Zoo
Which is your favorite petting zoo?